Ma Says: Microsoft Preparing Search Engine Development In ChinaApril 28, 2008 | Print | Comments | Category: Internet
Ma Weiying, principal researcher and research area manager for Microsoft (MSFT) Research Asia in Beijing, says that Microsoft has arranged a large team for the development of search engines in China and expects to make some achievements in the field in the coming years.
Ma told local media that though Microsoft's Internet and search strategy still lags behind of that Google and other search engine providers, the company sees lots of open opportunities for developing search engines in China, as well as in the international market. Ma says there is still a lot of space for the innovation and development of search services, so Microsoft Research Asia will continue to enlarge its investment in the sector.
At present, there are more than 100 employees at Microsoft working on search related businesses in China. Under Ma's leadership, the team is pushing the boundaries of current search technologies by leveraging machine learning and knowledge discovery techniques to deliver the next generation of Web search. This includes projects in information analysis, organization, retrieval, and visualization. Over the past few years, the team has generated an impressive record of conference publications, including key papers at SIGIR, WWW, and ACM Multimedia. The research has included direct transfers to products, including key technologies delivered to Windows Live image search, product search, mobile search, and academic search.
In its ten-year history, Microsoft Research Asia has grown into an organization that employs over 350 researchers and engineers, has welcomed more than 2,500 interns, has awarded over 250 Microsoft fellowships, has published over 1,500 papers for top international journals and conferences, and has achieved many technological breakthroughs.
Leave A Comment:
- Nokia's Beijing Factory May Cut 3,000 Employees
- Midea Predicts Profit Up 50% As Alibaba Cloud Strategy Takes Hold
- Suning Launches Crowdsourcing Services For Chinese Hardware Startups
- Letv.com Establishes New Beijing Company For Mobile Phone Development
- HTC Reports Net Profit Of NTD2.76 Billion In Q2 2014
- Hon Hai Signs Five New Big Data Projects In Guizhou
- China's Qihoo 360 Targets Silicon Valley Venture Capital
- China Post Invests CNY100 Million In Mobile Payment Services
- China's Aliyun Forms Cloud Computing Partnership With Inspur
- Tencent Cloud Opens Outside Mainland China While Foreign Tech Still Blocked Inside Country