China Mobile Plans To Build Research Center In Silicon ValleyOctober 10, 2008 | Print | Comments | Category: Telecom & Wireless
According to Huang Xiaoqing, president of China Mobile's Institute of Research, the company plans to establish a research and development center in Silicon Valley in the United States in 2009.
This will be the first time for China's telecom industry to release an overseas research and development plan since the recent restructuring and it is also China Mobile's first overseas research and development action. Huang says that for a long time, the major revenue of China Mobile has been contributed by its voice services, but now it needs some innovations and Silicon Valley has the best environment.
In the past, mobile and the Internet services were operated on two independent platforms. However, the merger of the two has pushed the need to have a unified mobile platform.
At present, China Mobile is actively contacting other operators to establish a jointly-managed mobile platform like Google's Android mobile phone operating system.
Leave A Comment:
- China Unicom's Profit Climbs With Growing User Base And Lower Costs
- Xiaomi Moves Overseas Mobile Phone Data Away From Chinese Servers
- JD.com Teams With China Post To Expand O2O To Small Chinese Towns
- China Mobile's ARPU Drops While Net Profit Sinks 9.7%
- Lenovo Creates Mobile Phone Development Subsidiary